Since 2003, Newmont has publicly disclosed our social and environmental performance. Our annual sustainability report, Beyond the Mine, reflects our reporting obligations as a founding member of the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), as well as our commitments under the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR) and the United Nations Global Compact. Newmont reports its sustainability performance in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) sustainability reporting framework – a comprehensive set of indicators covering sustainable development – and is independently assured.
Highlights from the 2014 Beyond the Mine report include:
- Achieving the lowest injury rate in Newmont’s history for the second year in a row; however, two fatalities at Newmont’s operations in Ghana demonstrate that the Company’s work to achieve a culture of zero harm never ends;
- Publishing an independently assured, Conflict-Free Gold Report, confirming Newmont does not operate in areas classified as “conflict-affected or high risk” and is in conformance with the criteria established by the World Gold Council’s Conflict-Free Gold Standard;
- Gaining approval to expand underground mining operations in Waihi, New Zealand through a comprehensive public involvement program;
- Establishing the Newmont Akyem Development Foundation (NAkDeF) at the Company’s newest operation; NAkDeF has a similar structure to the Newmont Ahafo Development Foundation, which was recognized in 2014 as the best social impact investment vehicle in Africa by the European Union’s African Chamber of Commerce;
- Receiving the government of Indonesia’s first-ever botanical garden designation at a reclaimed, former mine site, PT Newmont Minahasa Raya (PTNMR);
- Implementing a global water strategy to more effectively manage and mitigate water risks and more clearly link water management practices with long-term strategic and social responsibility objectives; and
- Demonstrating a commitment to transparency through the development of external targets for complaints and grievances, water management, and closure and reclamation.
Please visit Beyond the Mine to learn about how Newmont is managing the risks that are most important to our business and to read the related stories that show our commitment to sustainable development in action.