Belgian international food retailer Delhaize Group announced the publication May 28 of its 2014 Sustainability Progress Report online at http://sustainabilityreport.delhaizegroup.com. The report highlights progress toward “Supergood,” the Group’s ambition to be a sustainability leader in its local markets by 2020.
“Many of the things that make our company more sustainable also help us [….] be a better business”, said President and CEO Frans Muller.
Examples of achievements in 2014 were:
- 35% of Delhaize America's private brand food sales were from products with high nutritional value (earning at least one Guiding Star), up from 33% in 2013.
- Delhaize Belgium increased its sustainable seafood commitment and is on pace to source 80% Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified seafood by 2020. In 2014, 35% of private brand seafood product sales were certified by MSC or the Aquaculture Stewardship Council.
- The Group’s total recycling rate increased to 58%, with a target of 80% by 2020.
- The Group continued to drive down greenhouse gas emissions toward the goal of 20% reduction by 2020.
- Delhaize America’s Food Lion banner partnered with Feeding America to launch Food Lion Feeds, an ambitious program to serve 500 million meals to people in need by 2020.
Questions or comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.