The Innovation Center for U.S Dairy®, established under the leadership of dairy farmers, recently issued its 2014 U.S. Dairy Sustainability Report. In addition to reporting on Innovation Center-led research programs and activities, the report references specific actions being taken by more than 100 U.S. dairy farms, businesses and partnerships.
Through a shared commitment, U.S. dairy farmers, importers and businesses work together to provide people with the nutritious dairy products they want, in a way that is improving the social, economic and environmental performance of the dairy industry. In 2014, partnerships, knowledge sharing and actions from farm to table to community addressed the complex interconnections among food production, nutrition and health, economics and the environment.
Highlights from the 2014 U.S. Dairy Sustainability Report:
- Developed and released the Biogas Opportunities Roadmap in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. The Roadmap outlines voluntary strategies to reduce methane emissions and develop a robust biogas industry, including anaerobic digester systems that co-digest dairy cow manure and food waste.
- Donated 283,000 gallons of milk – and its 9 essential nutrients – to hungry families across the country through the Great American Milk Drive, a collaborative effort with Feeding America.
- Promoted food recovery as an important approach for addressing hunger, safeguarding the environment and reducing costs.
- Renewed partnership with World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to promote widespread dairy industry adoption of innovative, environmentally sustainable solutions as well as incremental improvements in existing dairy practices and technologies.
- Released a white paper as part of the multiyear Sustainable Food for the 21st Century project that shares the insights of 52 thought leaders and experts about how to achieve a sustainable food production system by the year 2050.
Accompanying the report’s release is an interactive infographic summarizing data published in the Innovation Center’s five annual sustainability reports.
The Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy® is a forum for the dairy industry to work together pre-competitively to address barriers and foster innovation. The Innovation Center aligns the collective resources of the industry to offer consumers nutritious dairy products and ingredients, and promote the health of people, communities, and the planet. The Board of Directors for the Innovation Center includes 32 leaders representing key U.S. farmer organizations, dairy cooperatives, processors, and brands. Visit www.usdairy.com for more information.