“To continue creating value, the communities in which we operate have to thrive and we have to operate in a sustainable way” – Richard Goyder, Wesfarmers Managing Director
Wesfarmers has been creating value for more than 100 years, starting as a farmers’ cooperative and now holding a diversified portfolio of retail and industrial businesses, as one of Australia’s largest listed companies.
Wesfarmers today released its online 2015 Sustainability Report, which discloses its performance against its ten community and environmental impact principles in the areas of people, sourcing, community, environment and governance. The report also addresses the sustainability performance of each of our businesses with more than 40 video and written case studies from across the Group.
Performance highlights covered in the report include:
- Safety: reducing the total recordable injury frequency rate by 7.5 per cent.
- Diversity: employing an additional 500 Indigenous Australians at Coles alone.
- Ethical sourcing: continuing the rollout of the publication of our retail divisions’ supplier details.
- Community contributions: increasing our combined direct and indirect community contributions to more than $100 million for the first time.
- Climate change resilience: decreasing the emissions intensity of our business by 37 per cent over the last five years.
The report can be viewed at sustainability.wesfarmers.com.au