September 23, 2019 - Today, American Express (NYSE:AXP) released its 2018-2019 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report, outlining its recent efforts to address the social, environmental and economic needs of its communities, customers, colleagues, shareholders and partners. American Express made progress in 2018 on several of its CSR objectives, including reducing its net carbon emissions to zero and achieving CarbonNeutral® status for the first time, and powering the company’s operations with 100% renewable electricity. The company plans to build on this work, as outlined in the report, by eliminating single-use plastics across its operations, sourcing 100% of its direct marketing, customer communications and office paper from certified responsibly managed forests, committing to remaining a CarbonNeutral® company, and continuing to power its operations with 100% renewable energy.
“We have long recognized that corporations exist because society says they can – and, in return, expects them to contribute to the common good,” said Stephen J. Squeri, Chairman and CEO, American Express. “We know that one of the most significant ways we can serve our communities and all of our stakeholders is to do our part to protect and preserve the planet we all share. We are committed to doing more in the years ahead.”
Additional highlights from the company’s CSR report include:
- Contributing $42 million in charitable giving, including grants provided by the company, the American Express Foundation, the company’s Center for Community Development, and colleague gift-matching programs.
- Celebrating the ninth year of Small Business Saturday, a day created by American Express to support local businesses that help create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods;
- Being named to Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index for its efforts to create a work environment that supports gender equality;
- Maintaining a 100 percent rating on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index since 2004; and
- Increasing its spending with Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises by 17 percent in the U.S. year-over-year.
The full 2018-2019 CSR report can be found here. To learn more about American Express’ CSR initiatives, please visit this page.
About American Express
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com, and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, Linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.