FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., July 12, 2018 – BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, today issued its 2017 Sustainability Performance Update that focuses on four key strategic areas that support the company’s 2020 Sustainability Goals.
BD’s sustainability strategy is driven by its purpose – advancing the world of health – and focuses on four priorities:
- Innovation – health care safety, reach and cost
- Access – health care in resource-limited populations
- Efficiency – environmentally sound products and resilient operations
- Empowerment – positive workforce and community impacts
Highlights from this year’s progress report include:
- Innovation – Through technology, processes, systems and partnerships, BD continues to pioneer new, relevant ways to impact the quality of care for both customers and health care systems, including redefining medication management technologies; identifying the tools needed to support disease diagnosis and treatment; as well as developing new technologies that provide more advanced “wearable” drug delivery devices and diabetes management applications.
- Access – As a leader in areas that are critical to the future of medical technology and society as a whole, BD continues to expand health care access to vulnerable populations through partnerships with leading organizations and governments, including the U.S. Agency for International Development, The U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, the company has placed a strong focus on antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Through global mobilization, collaboration, education and training, BD is working towards infection prevention, diagnostics and surveillance solutions that strengthen health systems and combat AMR in both the developed and under-resourced areas of the world.
- Efficiency – BD continues to take action and establish partnerships that address some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges, such as climate change and natural resource scarcity. Currently, 98 percent of BD’s electric power used by operations in the U.S. and 66 percent of global electric power consumption is obtained from renewable resources.
- Empowerment – As an organization that employs more than 65,000 associates across six continents, BD values an inclusive and diverse workforce that reflects the communities, customers and patients that it serves. The company has made strides towards its 2020 Sustainability Goals, particularly in the areas of diverse hiring, employee engagement and leadership development. Notably, this year, BD launched a Global Inclusion Council compromised of highly influential, next generation leaders to facilitate action, and drive change from within and across the company.
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. The company supports the heroes on the frontlines of health care by developing innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD and its 65,000 employees have a passion and commitment to help improve patient outcomes, improve the safety and efficiency of clinicians’ care delivery process, enable laboratory scientists to better diagnose disease and advance researchers’ capabilities to develop the next generation of diagnostics and therapeutics. BD has a presence in virtually every country and partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. By working in close collaboration with customers, BD can help enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care. In 2017, BD welcomed C. R. Bard and its products into the BD family. For more information on BD, please visit bd.com.
# # #
BD Public Relations