Mondi Group shares its 2017 sustainable development report, including progress within each of its Growing Responsibly action areas
Mondi, the international packaging and paper Group, today released its 2017 reporting suite including its full online Sustainable development report, its printed sustainability publication Partnering for change, and its Integrated report and financial statements 2017.
In this year’s Sustainable development report, Mondi has again delivered a comprehensive view of the Group’s approach to sustainable development and its performance in 2017, prepared in accordance with the GRI G4 Core guidelines.
The Group has once again demonstrated its commitment to the global sustainable development agenda and its strongest links to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). It has reported on progress within each of its Growing Responsibly model’s action areas viz.
- Employee and contractor safety
- A skilled and committed workforce
- Fairness and diversity in the workplace
- Sustainable fibre
- Climate change
- Constrained resources and environmental impacts
- Biodiversity and ecosystems
- Supplier conduct and responsible procurement
- Relationships with communities
- Solutions that create value for our customers
Its 2017 sustainability publication Partnering for change looks at how the Group is using its Growing Responsibly model to deliver meaningful improvements across aspects of sustainability that are most relevant for its business and its stakeholders.
Sustainability KPIs for 2017
Performance indicators reported on in the report include:
- 829,900 hours of employee and contractor training, with approximately 37% dedicated to safety and health
- Introduced a 24-hour safety mindset approach across the Group
- 22% of employees and 25% of Boards female
- Sadly two fatalities and three life-altering injuries
- 217 recordable cases (a 21% reduction compared to our 2015 baseline) and a TRCR of 0.60
- 65% of mills’ fuel consumption from renewable biomass-based sources
- Maintained credible certification across all of its South African forests (Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM)), and its Russian forests (FSC- and PEFC-certification)
- 25% of forest land set aside for conservation
- Extended its WWF global Partnership for a further three years
- 15% reduction in specific CO2e since 2014
- 71% of wood procured FSC- or PEFC-certified
- 18% reduction in specific waste to landfill since 2015
- 9% reduction in specific effluent load (COD) since 2015
- €41.7 million invested in local community initiatives in the last five years (2017: €9.6 million)
Mondi remains committed to the ten principles of the United Nations Global Compact, reporting its Communication on Progress at ‘Advanced Level’ and has been included in the FTSE4Good Index Series since 2008 and the JSE’s Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Index since 2007.
Reflecting on the past year, Peter Oswald, Group Chief Executive Officer, commented:
“As we further embed sustainability into our global operations and ensure delivery against our long-term strategic business objectives, transparent and collaborative relationships and partnerships remain key – both across our business and beyond.”
Read more about Mondi’s approach to sustainable development:
Group Head of sustainable development